Bicycle and road safety
Respect the Code de la Route (the French ‘Highway Code’), which is compulsory for cyclists to follow. In the event of a serious infringement, you would be liable to pay a fine!
Here are some of our other tips:
- Always remain vigilant on roads, particularly at junctions and on bridges
- Don’t ride side by side and do keep to the right (in France), to the left (in England)
- On greenways, give priority to pedestrians and always signal
- Be considerate and friendly to other lane users
- At night, wear bright clothing and use effective lights
- Wear a correctly fitting helmet.
Remember that you are cycling on roads at your own risk and that you are responsible for accidents which may occur to yourself, or to the detriment of a third party, as a consequence of your inappropriate behaviour regarding the Code de la Route, the road traffic conditions and predictable dangers under normal circumstances. You should have compulsory civil liability insurance.