For a day-trip
For this type of outing any bike is good enough for the job.
But do make sure, at that the very least, you check:
- The brakes
- The lights
- The gears
- Tyre pressures
For several days’ cycling
If you are planning on a trip of several days, a hybrid bike or well-equipped trekking bike is best – one with a comfortable saddle, lights, baggage holder and at least 21 gears.
- Adjust the bike correctly for your height: saddle and handlebars
- Choose a pannier over a rucksack, which can be tiring over longer distances
- A saddlebag is very practical for guidebooks or a map and other loose objects
- Take a small repair kit with you: puncture kits and spare tyre tubes, multifunction tool, bicycle pump together with a connection that will fit your valves
- Don’t forget an anti-theft device for use when stopping in towns
You’ll never regret investing in a quality bicycle!